Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Why Can't I Get Any Straight Answers?

Overall, I've been very disappointed in the responses I've received from the college admissions officers I emailed 2 weeks ago. The bulk of them went something like, "Blah, blah, blah. No specific information kept on homeschoolers... thanks for your interest in applying at 'insert school name here'." (Nice of them to assume I want to apply; I mean, that's the only possible reason I would want information, right?) "Here's what we suggest for all applicants. Blah, blah, blah." I didn't receive a response from Columbia at all.

The one piece of valuable information I did get was from Yale, who said, "Homeschooled students do not receive any special treatment in the admissions process. They must demonstrate the same academic and extra-curricular dedication as any other student." I will at least take that to disprove the "affirmative action" statement that was made.

I didn't get answers from any school pertaining to admit rate or university performance. I can't really say I'm surprised, though.

3 comments:

honkeie said...

when doing research like this you might want to try different search engines. Most skools do not keep statistics like that on file any way. I have colleges.....if you have not noticed!

Anonymous said...

I can think of a couple of good reasons you aren't getting the answers you need. The first is that they probably don't know the answers you are seeking. It's entirely possible they aren't tracking it and if they are, they are still certainly missing many who should be counted (the jr. college transfers, the ones from an "umbrella school" or even the ones who homeschooled until highschool, then went to a regular school).

Another possibility is that they see you as an activist of some kind and don't want to give you any ammunition that could come back to haunt them later. Take a look at your questions and try to figure out if there is anything about them that might make a university employee nervous.

As far as "affirmative action" goes, my gut feeling on this is that Universities don't do affirmative action unless they have to. If they are Bob Jones or Patrick Henry University, you can expect homeschoolers to get preferential treatment - otherwise, it's not in the school's best interest.

Remember, top universities look for students that will not just graduate, but will excel afterwards and make them seem even more prestigious.

debra said...

our daughter, hs'ed since kindergarten age, has been accepted to her first choice college, the New School in NYC (with a wonderful scholarship package). No extra hoops because she was hs'ed.