Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Are We Really This Stupid?

After reading the most recent post over at Principled Discovery, I was inspired to go in search of some really asinine warning labels. Luckily, my search did not take long; I came across this site, which has an extensive list.

Some of my favorites:
"For external use only!" -- On a curling iron
"Do not use orally." -- On a toilet bowl cleaning brush
"Please keep out of children." -- On a butcher knife
"Warning: May contain nuts." -- On a package of peanuts
"Warning! This is not underwear! Do not attempt to put in pants." -- On the packaging for a wristwatch

I don't really get that last one....

5 comments:

Hanley Family said...

I don't get that last one, either. And I don't think I want to think about it for too long, either.

I still like the old stand-by:

On a stroller: Remove child before collapsing.

Yeah. I needed to be told that. And if I were to for some reason not follow that sage advice, I'd be too embarrassed to sue. I'd just rescue my child and hope nobody saw.

honkeie said...

But there are so many things that do not come with warning labels that should:
Tin foil: Do not chew
Toliet paper: not food
cat food: not for human consumption
baseball bats: not a sex toy
and last but not least-
Pnecils: may be used as a dangerous weapon after sharpening.

Jenn said...

Yes, I've had personal experience with a dangerous pencil weapon.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't call the warning labels stupidity. They are the natural result of two things - the spread in competence of the human species and the ability to treat the civil courts as a form of lottery where, if you get the right case and judge, you can hit the jackpot.

I live in Illinois - our state has two of the top five counties for lawsuit abuse. Sometimes I'm surprised businesses don't label their doors "Please open before attempting to walk through."

Jenn said...

I agree. It's ridiculous that we've allowed lawsuits to get so out of hand. We've reduced ourselves to being treated like idiots because no one is expected to use their common sense.

And my sister once ran right through a (screen) door, so that warning label might have actually come in handy....